• 0

E. King Gill, class of 1924, is depicted in his football uniform as the bronze statue in 12th Man Plaza at the north entrance of Kyle Field. George E. “Pat” Foley designed this statue, dedicated in 1980, and the Centennial Eagle. A new version of the statue was unveiled in 2014.

  • 0

Located in the center of campus, the Academic Plaza features the statue of Lawrence Sullivan Ross, Silver Taps sculpture, Muster Candle monument and flagpole in a diamond in front of the Academic Building. The Century Tree can also be found in the Academic Plaza.

  • 0

The flagpole in front of the Academic Building has been a campus landmark since 1912 as a gift from the senior class. The 1939 class is responsible for the iconic bronze base that has a role in the Silver Taps tradition. Monthly ceremony notices are displayed from a pocket in the base. The b…

  • 0

The white cement base of the flagpole in front of the Administration Building was a gift from the class of 1934. Three sides are figures depicting the components on which Texas A&M was founded: military, mechanics and agriculture. Military is represented with a soldier. One woman holding…

  • 0

Inside the Corps Arches, is a bronze sculpture of the Aggie Ring on a stone pedestal. The pedestal bears a plaque inscribed with the Aggie Code of Honor: “An Aggie does not lie, cheat, or steal, nor tolerate those who do.”

  • 0

A 12-foot-tall bronze replica of the Aggie Ring is located in the Haynes Ring Plaza behind the Alumni Center. Since 2009, it has provided a picturesque backdrop for Aggie Ring Day. It is inscribed with Harold J. “Bill” Haynes, distinguished alumnus and namesake for the plaza. The seal at the…

  • 0

The bell tower was dedicated Oct. 6, 1984. The tower is 138 feet tall and is located on Old Main Drive at what used to be the West Gate entrance. The tower contains Westminster chimes and 49 carillon bells. The bells, which weigh 17 tons combined, were made in a 200-year-old French foundry, …

  • 0

The bronze sculptures of a student and a golden retriever are located next to the Langford Architecture Center. Joe Hiram Moore, class of 1938, and his wife donated the sculpture to the university in memory of their son, Stephen, class of 1973. Stephen received his bachelor’s in environmenta…

  • 0

The Bonfire Memorial was dedicated on fifth anniversary of the Nov. 18, 1999 collapse. It was designed with three parts: Tradition Plaza, History Walk and the Spirit Ring. Every detail in the design represents something for the 90-year tradition or the 12 Aggies who were killed. Students con…

  • 0

The 1976 Centennial Eagle is on Joe Routt Boulevard in front of the Sam Houston Sanders Corps of Cadets Center. The bronze statue depicted the logo for the university’s 100th anniversary. George E. “Pat” Foley designed the sculpture. He designed the 12th Man statue four years later.

  • 0

The Century Tree is located in front of Bolton Hall in the Academic Plaza. The live oak is more than 100 years old, but its exact age is unknown. The sheltered walkway and bench have been the site for wedding proposals and bridal portraits because of its picturesque backdrop and its swooping…

  • 0

A series of pillars connected by 12 arches, for the 12th Man spirit, is at Lubbock Street entrance to the Corps Quadrangle, where the Corps of Cadets lives. Plaques on the pillars advise Corps members to “return with honor.” The arches were built in 1975, updating the Corps area in celebrati…

  • 0

Before entering through the Corps Arches, a memorial in the Corps Plaza is “dedicated to the A&M men who gave their lives in defense of our country since World War II. Here is enshrined in spirit and bronze a tribute to their valor and devotion to their country,” the plaque reads. The me…

  • 0

Located in the center of the Corps Quadrangle, the life-sized bronze sculpture is of Lt. Gen. James F. Hollingsworth, class of 1940, in a Vietnam War-era uniform. The statue dedicated in 1999 is inscribed with “Danger 79er” on the base for his radio call sign. Lawrence Ludtke designed this s…

  • 0

The aluminum sculpture depicts space travel and sits in front of the Olin E. “Tiger” Teague Research Center. According to the Texas State Historical Association, the center was partly funded by a $1 million grant from NASA. The Albritton Engineering Company and the Reynolds Metal Company don…

  • 1

The Fish Pond was a gift from the class of 1938. After World War II, the fountain was dedicated to 24 class members who were killed, according to the Association of Former Students. Approximately 950 Aggies died in WWII. Texas Aggies Go To War: In Service of Their Country by Henry Dethloff l…

  • 0

In front of the Jon L. Hagler Center is a 7,000-gallon fountain named for the Gruy family. The fountain was dedicated in 2007 and “features 30 water jets, 32 lights and 200 pieces of stone,” according to a Texas A&M Foundation press release.

  • 0

The series of three red-brick fountains in front of the Chemistry Building are in the shape of a water molecule. Chemistry students periodically will change the water’s color or make the fountains spout foam and bubbles.

  • 0

While on the battlefields of World War I, James Vernon "Pinky" Wilson wrote the anthem of Kyle Field: The Aggie War Hymn. A brass statue depicts Wilson, class of 1920, in his military uniform. The statue, dedicated in 2008, is on the west side of the Sam Houston Sanders Corps of Cadets Cente…

  • 0

A life-size bronze detailed sculpture of James Earl Rudder is in front of the Rudder Tower and anchors the south end of Military Walk. The statue was originally in front of Bizzell Hall, but it was moved to its current location when Military Walk was restored in 2009. The statue was dedicate…

  • 0

A statue in front of Bright Complex was dedicated in October 2010 in honor of the first Aggie to win the Heisman trophy. The bronze statue stands 12 feet tall. Steven Whyte, a portrait sculptor based in California, shaped the statue.

  • 0

“Sully” is the oldest sculpture on campus, dedicated in 1918. The bronze statue is of Lawrence Sullivan Ross, A&M president from 1891 until his death in 1898. Pompeo Coppini, who did several monuments on the University of Texas campus and around the state, was commissioned to create the …

  • 0

A stainless steel sculpture in the courtyard between the Halbouty Geosciences and James J. Cain ’51 buildings is approximately 26 feet tall. The statue was dedicated in 1992. The Greek word Menos means “spirit.” The sculptor, Hans Van de Bovenkamp, says the abstract design is comprised of a …

  • 0

A quarter-mile walkway stretches between the James Earl Rudder statue and Sbisa Dining Hall. Traditionally, the Corps of Cadets would march in formation around campus to the mess hall or convocations in front of the Academic Building. The pathway became a paved road in the early 1900s, and r…

  • 0

Monuments in the Academic Plaza form a diamond: the flagpole, Silver Taps, Sully and Muster Candles. To the left of the flagpole is the Muster Candle sculpture. The top portrays hands lighting candles in the Aggie Muster service. Two sides have stanzas from Muster poems, a third details the …

  • 0

Gen. James Earl Rudder, class of 1932 and A&M president from 1959 to 1970, led a ranger battalion on to the banks of Normandy on D-Day during World War II. The Rudder family’s English bulldog named Ranger was more like the campus pet as he had full run of campus. He took naps in classroo…

  • 0

Reveille I died in 1944, and following a formal military funeral, she was buried at the north entrance of Kyle Field. Tradition goes that she was buried with her paws and head towards the scoreboard so she can always watch the Aggies. The next three Reveilles were buried next to her then mov…

  • 0

In front of the Kleberg Center is a three-quarter life size bronze sculpture of Robert Justus Kleberg Jr. riding a horse. The statue is by Jim Reno, known for his equine sculptures, and dedicated in 1983. The statue was donated by Mrs. Helen Groves and the Kleburg family.

  • 0

The fountain, reopened in 2012 with the renovated Memorial Student Center, now sends water 12 feet in the air and light changes the color. The fountain is located in the breezeway between the Rudder Tower and MSC. It was originally dedicated in 1973 with the tower and theater complex.

  • 0

The bronze sculpture of children standing over pages of an open book is located between Bolton Hall and the Harrington Education Center. The highest point is 12 feet high, at the tip of a feather that a little girl is pointing toward the sky. A teacher wearing a smock stands on the platform …

  • 0

Monuments in the Academic Plaza form a diamond: the flagpole, Silver Taps, Sully and Muster Candles. The top of the Silver Taps sculpture is comprised of a bugle with the Aggie Band Bugle Corps flag resting on the American flag. The sculpture describes the tradition and was funded by the cla…

  • 0

According to the Brazos County Historical marker, the drill field was the site for the Corps of Cadets to practice drill formations, artillery and infantry exercises and pilot training in the 1920s. The annual Bonfire was built on the field from 1909 to 1955. The drill field is located on th…

  • 0

A memorial at the south entrance of the Corps of Cadets Center is dedicated to the students, alumni and faculty members who served in the Spanish-American War from 1898 to 1902. Incomplete college records indicate at least 89 men with ties to A&M were in the war, according to Texas Aggie…

  • 0

The Bonfire sculpture in Spence Park consists of three separate bronze statues on cement platforms depicting different elements of the tradition. “Chop” is portrayed with a bronze tree stump and ax next to it. The five-tiered Bonfire design with an outhouse as the topper represents “stack.” …

  • 0

In the middle of the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum Complex, five bronze horses are portrayed leaping over a 2-ton piece of the Berlin Wall. The memorial is 12 feet tall and 18 feet wide. The four mares and one stallion are larger than life-size, according to artist Veryl Goodni…

  • 0

The sculpture made from copper sheet metal was a gift from the class of 1966 and dedicated in 1971. The abstract design by Herni BertBartscht represents a young man’s head emerging from a Moebius band, a mathematical object. The band in this case is a symbol of the Aggie Spirit, according to…

  • 0

A life-size bronze sculpture in front of the Joe. C. Richardson Petroleum Engineering Building incorporates tools of the trade. The statue depicts an oil field worker using a chain to control a 20-feet tall drill pipe and tri-cone rotary drill bit. The sculpture was commissioned to Rosie San…

  • 0

The three-pronged “Crystal Tree” structure is comprised of approximately 2,500 pieces of glass. The nimbus is supported by steel rods. The sculpture is located between the second-story outdoor walkways at Rudder Tower. The sculpture is 36 feet tall. Hillard M. Stone designed the structure, t…

  • 0

A bronze eagle with a 14-foot wingspan perches on top of rocks that form a water fountain in Cain Park. The fountain and eagle are a total of 9 feet tall. The eagle was made by Kent Ulberg, wildlife sculptor, and donated by the class of 1991. The monument is “a perpetual symbol of the Aggie …

  • 0

The current water tower that welcomes visitors and students to campus was built in 1975. The structure is 185-feet tall, holds two million gallons of water and was originally painted “sky blue” to blend in with sky, according to a 1974 Eagle article. However, the result did not really work. …

  • 0

Also known as the West Gate Memorial, the granite monument reads, “In recognition of the splendid participation by the A&M College of Texas in the World War and of the heroic sacrifices made by her sons. This memorial is given by the class of 1923-24-25-26.” It lists 55 names of Aggies w…