June 3, 1950: Marion T. Harrington was appointed as president at A&M. He was the first former student, class of 1922, to serve as president. Harrington became the second chancellor of the A&M System upon leaving the presidential post Sept. 1, 1953.
He served a second term as president from 1957 to 1959, while simultaneously in charge of the System.
Harrington focused on networking and maintaining relations with professional organizations and alumni, according to Rudder: From Leader to Legend. He retired as chancellor on Aug. 31, 1965. His legacy lives on as the namesake of the Harrington Education Center, which opened in 1973.