The Administration Building, built 1932, was the last to have the design influence of Samuel C. P. Vosper. However, it was the first to face the new state highway and away from the train depot.

The front of the building has 14 ionic columns. The columns feature portraits in the Ionic capitals, or molding on top of the column to broaden the load bearing surface. The architectural detail embodies Texas history and symbols of agriculture and engineering. The portraits are supposed to be “idealized” depictions of a “typical” cadet, according to the August 1998 Texas Aggie magazine. Vosper also worked in the design, as per Aggie lore, the likeness of a young woman, Sara Orth. Her father William Orth, was the superintendent of campus building construction.

The building was named in 1997 for Jack K. Williams, 17th A&M president.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.